25 May 2009

The E-dilemma

When I date, it is typically the result of the internet. I meet them online. We woo online. And then we sometimes meet, more rarely meet again, and even more rarely meet regularly. This ritual goes on until it threatens to become more serious, and it's time for me to bail.

And then it has to end. So I start working on the Dear John email. And my friends start flipping out that I can't break up with them by e-mail (jeez, you'd think I was proposing sending a Dear John text) break-ups have to happen in person or by the phone. (Side note: we have all pretty much determined that the depth of my relationships do not justify an in-person break up.)

So let me ask you (I believe there are six of you), if we meet and woo online. If we speak on the phone _never_, if our style of communication and preference is the written word, why would it make any sense to call to break up? Under what circumstance does that make any sense?

Seriously? Seriously.

The end.

3 comments:

  1. Ya know, maybe back in the day (even a couple of years ago) it would have been the considerate thing to do (e.g., to reply in person to someone), but back in the day we weren't living in such an electronically convenient and/or dependent world either. If your relationship with someone is heavily online or electronic, then I don't think there is anything wrong with responding in kind electronically if things don't work out. If anything, it's the kinder, less invasive, more merciful rejection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dare I add that it makes me feel better to read this because I have had to do the same thing recently...? And for perspective's sake, an electronic "Dear John" is not the same as the "post-it note" break-up...where Carrie and Berger were actually dating for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beats the hell out of my MO - duck, hide and hope he moves on. Yes I am 12.

    ReplyDelete